With the design phase finished the first 1955
Chevrolet Nomad rolled off the assembly line and was on it's way into automotive history.
As a first year release the '55 Nomad had some design features that were particular only
to that year and were not carried over into the 1956 and 1957 model years. We discussed
earlier in the design studio page some of the outside features of the '55 Nomad and here
we will highlight some of the interior features.
In the inside the rear deck area was covered with linoleum as were
the other wagons Chevrolet offered that year. the headliner was vinyl and had chrome bows
similar to the Bel Air hardtop models. The interior seat covering had a vinyl "waffle
and pleated" effect. The door and side panels were also vinyl covered with a
combination plain and waffle effect. The dash was basically the same as the production
model Bel Airs.
Below we'd like to offer you a view of the interior of the '55
Nomad. If you are looking for interior and exterior colors they can be found in the
regular Chevrolet sections by model year.
At left is the front seat of the
Nomad and above is the rear section....
Below are the specifications for the 1955 Chevrolet
- Price: $2,571. f.o.b. factory with standard equipment, federal
excise tax included.
- Engine: V-8
- Bore x stroke: 3 3/4" x 3"
- Displacement: 265.1 cu. in.
- Horsepower @ RPM: 162 @ 4,400
- Tourqe @ RPM: 257 @ 2,200
- Compression Ratio: 8 to 1
- Valve Confifuration: OHV
- Valve Lifters: Hydraulic
- Main Bearings: 5
- Fuel System: 1-2bbl. carb, mechanical pump
- Exhaust System: Dual (optional equipment)
- Transmission: Powerglide, two speed automatic
- Final Drive: Hypoid rear, 3.55:1 ratio, semi-floating drive axles
- Steering: Recirculating ball, turn circle - 38 feet
- Brakes: 4-wheel hydraulic, drum type, 11" diameter
- Frame: double-drop box-girder type
- Body: All steel
- Body Style: 2-door station wagon
- Suspension Front: independent, coil springs
- Suspension Rear: conventional, semi-elliptic springs
- Tires: 6.70 x 15
- Wheels: pressed steel, drop-center rims
- Crankcase: 5 quarts
- Automatic Transmission: 11 quarts
- Cooling System: 17 quarts
- Fuel Tank: 16 gallons
- Wheelbase: 115"
- Overall Length: 197.1"
- Overall Height: 60.7"
- Overall Width: 74.0"
- Front Track: 58.8"
- Rear Track: 58.8"
- Shipping weight: 3,461 lbs.
Intro | Design Studio | 1955 Nomads | 1956 Nomads | 1957 Nomads